Saturday, 21 January 2012
Sweet sugar-free 1st birthday cake
Upper Cut Cake gal, Jen was asked to create a sweet 1st birthday cake for baby E's party. The challenge was that it had to be baby friendly i.e. sugar-free and suitable for all to enjoy.
A previously tried and tested carrot and pineapple cake made a great base for a cream cheese and fromage frais icing sweetened with maple syrup. Decoration was in the form of a delicious blend of jellied fruit suitable for cutting into the shape of a 1. The kite shape was ideal with it's additional bow details left plain for anyone not wanting the added sweetness of the icing.
A very happy birthday to little E now 1 year old!
(Carrot and Pineapple cake: ¼ cup honey, ½ cup oil, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp mixed spice, 1 cup grated carrot, 1 cup pineapple chunks, ¼ cup pineapple juice
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
2. Beat honey, oil and eggs together until well blended. Add vanilla. Add the dry ingredients. Don't over mix.
3. Fold in carrots, pineapple (I put the chunks through the grater on the food processor to get smaller bits), and pineapple juice.
4. Put into a tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Icing: 350g full fat cream cheese, 4 tbsps fromage frais, 2 tbsps maple syrup, 1 tsp lemon juice - mix all the ingredients together.
Jellied fruit: 1 cup mixed berries ,1/4 cup water, 2 apples, peeled and chopped, 1/2 cup apple juice, 2 envelopes vege-gel
1. Put the mixed berries and water into a pot and bring to the boil. Cook until the berries are soft (about 5 minutes). Blend the fruit in a liquidiser until smooth and return to the pot.
2. Stew the apples with a little water in the microwave and then add to the mixed fruit in the pot.
3. Sprinkle the vege-gel over the apple juice and stir until dissolved.
4. Add the vege-gel and apple juice to the fruit mixture and bring to the boil for 2 minutes.
5. Pour the mixture into a container and refrigerate until set.)